My Babies

My Babies
"For success in science and art a dash of autism is essential." --Hans Asperger

Friday, October 15, 2010

Intro To my Family

And now to introduce the crazy bunch that I love so much.  My eldest son has Asperger's syndrome and can be a real handful but he is truly brilliant.  He is seven years old but working somewhere between 3rd and 4th grade level, thus the homeschooling.  He is pretty much brilliant but quirky and really impulsive.  He kinda has the maturity level of a four year old but the intelligence of a ten year old which is really an interesting combo.  Thus we get instances of him hitting his sister or cousin because they are not playing chess correctly.  He is hugely into video games and it takes some work to balance him in those areas.  He also enjoys Tae Kwon Do and likes to watch Star Wars.

Now my daughter is four years old and has Sensory Integration Disorder.   She is the pickiest eater on the face of the planet and has been on pediasure for three years now to keep her putting on weight.  As it is she only weighs 28 lbs but she is short so the docs say she's healthy as long as she keeps gaining.  She's funny because she is starting to read but she looks like she's only two or three so I get shocked looks from strangers!  lol  She is a super tom-boy and loves super heroes and wearing boy clothes and playing with cars and trucks although she has her babies she plays with too.  

My youngest son is 18 months old and possibly on the Autism spectrum.  He has been seeing therapists through early intervention for 6 months now.  He is severely speech delayed and has some major sensory feeding issues like his sister.  However he is very social so the therapists are hesitant to put a label on him.  It feels like we are going in circles at times when it comes to figuring him out.  They have said he may have apraxia or autism, they aren't sure yet.  He is a super smart guy as well though, and is doing a good job matching up shapes and knows a bunch of baby sign language. 

Me and my husband have been married three years now.  My husband works a full time job that is weekends only so he is home a lot during the week which is fun for field trips and stuff.  I stay home and babysit my niece who is at our house all the time so it is almost like we have four kids.  I am teaching my eldest who does mostly third grade work and the girls who are in pre-school.  And that is pretty much our family.....Wait we also have a chihuahua and a cat!  

No comments:

Post a Comment