My Babies

My Babies
"For success in science and art a dash of autism is essential." --Hans Asperger

Friday, October 22, 2010

The Strawberry

Now my youngest has a little problem with biting.  Not just biting other people mind you but biting everything.  When he gets mad or frustrated, he takes it out on the closest thing.  Unfortunately that is usually himself.  He has bitten his own arm to the point of leaving bruises and has chewed sores on his little fingers.  We talked to the occupational therapist yesterday and she gave him a chewy tube which is just a rubbery thing to bite on, and she recommended a vibrating teething toy which you can get at walmart.  So off go to walmart to search for this toy.  After scouring the baby section, I find this thing that looks like a strawberry.  It cost six dollars which a thought was a little steep for a teether and it was huge for a teether.  I am not sure a six month old could get their mouth over it, but my little dude has a pretty good size set of chompers so I thought I would give it a go.  If it will save my little guy's arms from bruises it will be well worth the six bucks and I will probably spring for a few more for spares.  
Anyways, I bring the thing home and show little guy what it does and he was hugely impressed.  It vibrates when you bite on it and is supposed to soothe teething pain.  We were hoping it would give him some needed sensory input in his mouth.  He even slept with the thing last night and has been dragging it everywhere.  He did seem to bite less today, but that could be a coincidence and weird thing is he started hitting his head on the floor again.  Which I had just told the therapists he had stopped doing that.  Hmmm...little guy is a puzzler sometimes.  We haven't tried out the chewy tube yet since he was so impressed with the vibrating strawberry but I intend on keeping it in the diaper bag for when we are out.

No comments:

Post a Comment