My Babies

My Babies
"For success in science and art a dash of autism is essential." --Hans Asperger

Friday, August 12, 2011

Clean Mud--Good squishy sensory therapy fun!

I know I have seen this on a few other blogs by several different names but when we made this at the daycare I used to work at, we called it clean mud so that is the name I am sticking with.  This is an awesome sensory therapy activity and is super fun.

Supplies:  Two bars of dove soap, one large roll of toilet paper, water (a glass more or less depending on consistency)

First, you tear up all the toilet paper into small pieces and put in a large container or tub.  We used an under the bed box like we do for many of our sensory activities.  The kids loved tearing up the toilet paper.



Then we melted the soap in the microwave one bar at a time.  I should have taken a picture of this step but I forgot.  It's kinda funny because it puff up super huge.  Then you mix the soap along with water into the toilet paper.  Mix the water in a little bit at a time so it doesn't end up too soupy.  Be careful with the soap when you first put it in, because it is kinda hot.  Once you put the water in with it, the kids can help mix with their hands.
 My big guy helped me mix, but the other two weren't big fans.
 My princess said it felt too weird but she did play for a few minutes.

 Little Guy had an extreme sensory related meltdown and hid under the table.
So this might be a bit too much for kids with more extreme sensory issues.
 I liked it though, it feels cool and squishy and it smells good.
 At least someone loved it!  I couldn't drag my eldest out of it for about an hour!

Good clean fun and our hands have never been cleaner!  I've been told it keeps for a few days when sealed so we will see what it is like tomorrow.  It makes a good science project for preschoolers too!

No comments:

Post a Comment