My Babies

My Babies
"For success in science and art a dash of autism is essential." --Hans Asperger

Friday, December 17, 2010

Making Candy and Tae Kwon Do update

Well, after two weeks of trying to get my eldest son to talk about WHY he didn't want to go back to his Tae Kwon Do class, we finally got out of him that the outfit was bugging him.  Now this is the first time really that his sensory issues have caused a clothing problem unless you count preferring to sleep in jeans than jammies which I think is just weird.  Anyways, we found out we were tying the belt too tight for him and he was uncomfortable.  Now why he couldn't tell us that two weeks ago don't ask me.  Anyways, he did agree to go back but ONLY if mommy takes it with him, lucky me!  So anyways, I have had two lessons this week, and he seems to be thorally enjoying it.  I on the other hand feel a little silly being the only adult in the class at this time, but oh well.  I was informed that parents are more than welcome to join in and they weren't too hard on me.  I now know front stance, front kick, and down block.  So don't come mug me in the alleys I might just have to kick you!  LOL!
I am happy though, because he needs something extra to occupy his time besides video games.  Plus talk about learning discipline, my little man is the politest most respectful little guy in the class.  He even said, "Nice one, sir." to the instructor after he demonstrated a kick. lol  I think he threw in more "sir"s than was required like he has over-generalized that rule in class but it was super cute.

Okay, yesterday was candy making day in my house.  We made fancy dipped pretzel rods, the fatter pretzel twists and dipped ritz crackers with PB.  My eldest helped with some of the dipping and all of the sprinkling.  In fact, I think he over-sprinkled just a tad!  I should have took pictures to post.  I meant to but I forgot.

Also, I really need to give my eldest more open-ended homeschool projects.  Today was our last day of school before we take a break for Christmas so I decided to go easy on him.  I just told him he could make me a book and could take the whole weekend to do it.  I think he is about done.  I told him it could be about anything Christmas related.  He decided to make a book called "Santa and his Sleigh" and he went to work.  I stapled some pages together with green poster-board for the cover, and told him to go at it.  He made six pages just this afternoon complete with sentences and illustrations.  I was very proud of him.  You see, he has fine motor delays that make writing very time consuming and hard for him, but man when I just let him go at it on his own, he just showed me how much he can shine.  He hates copy work so much that I thought this would be hard for him, but he did awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment