My Babies

My Babies
"For success in science and art a dash of autism is essential." --Hans Asperger

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Small accomplishments....Feeding Issues!

Well, Little Guy who has his fair share of food aversions conquered a milestone today.  For those who don't know what food aversions are this basically means picky eating that goes above and beyond picky eating but due to a more serious issue like for Little Guy sensory issues and low awareness in his mouth.  He has always hated the taste and texture of bread in general although he had been known to sample a hamburger on a bun or a roll of some sort, he has NEVER been able to tolerate sandwiches of any kind.  I have tried every variation I could think of and still no go.  Well this is where peer pressure came in handy today.  He saw big brother making himself a PB sandwich and became very intrigued by the whole process and was pointing at the jar doing his usual "I want that" grunt.  I seized the opportunity!  Grabbing a slice of dairy-free bread, I put it on his high chair tray and let him watch me make a PB sandwich.  I folded the slice in half and handed it too him and he picked it up and took his first bite.  He then proceeded to eat the sandwich with absolutely no coaxing on my part although I did offer a ton of praise during which he beamed up at me proudly.  Then when he was about half through, we hit a road block, figures!  You see Little Guy has very low awareness when it comes to his mouth and he has a tendency to cram it full of food, far more full than he should.  And you can just imagine what happened when he tried to do that with a PB sandwich.  He choked of course and bad enough to scare himself and me for that matter.  I had to use my finger to pull a couple of dough balls out of the back of his throat.  Then he of course decided he was done.  Hopefully he will be willing to try again soon.  Now if I could just get his sister to eat something other than ez-mac, football brownies and Pediasure we'll be doing good.  She's been having a horrible time with eating lately and she's eliminated a bunch of previously acceptable foods.



No comments:

Post a Comment