My Babies

My Babies
"For success in science and art a dash of autism is essential." --Hans Asperger

Thursday, February 3, 2011

First Cavity and NO TEARS!!

Okay so my seven year old had his first cavity.  I discovered it two weeks ago while brushing his teeth.  Now of course I go into full mommy panic mode because he has Asperger's syndrome doesn't have a history of handling pain well.  We're talking about the kid who used to scream bloody murder whenever a doctor touched him.  Thankfully we have found a doctor he really likes that he doesn't do that with any more but dentists are a whole new territory.  He visited the dentist last year but panicked when they put the cardboard things in his mouth to do the X-rays.  So naturally I am worried sick and wondering if we need to find a special dentist that will use sedation.  I already called around and couldn't find any in our immediate area.  So, I spent two weeks mentally preparing the Little Man telling him literally everything I could think of that would happen.  I also promised him that if he was super brave, we would go to his favorite place in the whole world next week which is McDonald's with a play place.  


We get there and get to go back right away.  I let him hold his favorite purple blanket while they worked.  And shock of all shocks, he didn't even flinch when they gave him the Novocaine shot.  He looked terrified right before but he did super awesome.  They were great with him too.  They gave him sunglasses so the light didn't shine in his eyes and explained everything to him.  I think he was most nervous about the suction thingy at first but he got used to it.  That thing is pretty loud after all.  I am so relieved and the dentist didn't even make him do the dreaded X-rays, which apparently in the Little Man's world are worse than any of the other dental horrors I hated as a kid.  Go figure, my mommy worries were unfounded.  

No comments:

Post a Comment